Top Surfing Spots in Philippines
Get ready to ride and experience different beach breaks, reef breaks and point breaks here in the Philippines. You can definitely dance with any waves you want in each location.
Backside, bail, backdoor, ankle busters enjoy it all as you surf the Philippines!
You don't only get to enjoy the waves but the trip as well. Since the country is blessed with natural resources, surfers will surely be enchanted by the beautiful sceneries of lush rainforest, rice fields, rivers and smiling faces of the locals as they travel by land, sea, or air to any of your favorite surfing spot. For adventure seekers and surfing enthusiasts, surfing Philippines should never skip your bucket list.
The town is known to have historical siege and killer waves that drives surfers from other continents to see and experience the surfing capital of the Philippines. In 2013 Yahoo marked Baler, Philippines as one of the top surf spots, you can hardly utter any word... just get stoked!
Baler has a really long shoreline and faces the Pacific Ocean. It is truly a surfer's paradise with clean waters, fine sand and a backdrop of beautiful mountains. Along with some water sport activities that await you, here are some beaches where you can find and experience Baler surfing: Sabang Beach, Cemento Beach and Charlie's Point. Sabang Beach is perfect for beginners. Cemento Beach is where the reef breaks are and for advanced and experienced surfers. Waves can get as high as 5 to six feet high.
We encourage tourists to visit Baler from October to January since it is the best time to enjoy waves and the rest of the advanced surfers in town. Traveling to Baler is now made easy as the Genesis Transport Bus the leading bus company that provides transport service directly from Manila to Baler.
- Transportation - You can reach Baler via Genesis Transport Bus or via a private van. Regular bus fare is around Php400 pesos one-way. Land trip from Manila to Baler is about 6-7 hours.
- Rates: Board Rental Php200/hour | Instructor Php200/hour | Whole day board rental Php800-1000 | Half-day board rental Php400 | Some surf shops / hotels offer a discounted rate of Php350 for a surfing lesson inclusive of board rental.
- Surfing Season: October to January
- Surfing Spots: Sabang Beach, Cemento Beach and Charlie's Point.
- Recommended Hotels for Lodging: Surfer Girls Lodge, Pacific Waves Inn, Yishin's Lodge, Click here to view more hotels in Baler
San Juan, La Union
Who wouldn't want to surf and explore the fifth longest coastline in the world? Dubbed as the "Surfing Capital of the North" San Juan is a paradise for all levels may it be beginners, intermediate or advanced surfers. It has consistent surf breaks and boasts beautiful white beaches. Local and international surfers visit San Juan to participate in some of the much awaited surfing competition of the year. Strongest and highest waves start from July to October and November to March since the region is famous for having consistent quality waves that enable surfers and even beginners to enhance their skills in surfing, it features 2 best surfing seasons.
Aside from La Union surfing, there are also other water sport activities you can enjoy like: kayaking, scuba diving, snorkeling, skim boarding and paddle surfing. There are plenty of accommodations to choose from budget lodges or backpacker inns to average priced hotels. We have beach resorts that offer family-style rooms furnished with amenities for families and barkada sizes.
To get to La Union, there are several bus companies that provide transportation services from Manila or you can take a private car. Travel time is approximately 6-7 hours. We strongly suggest that you travel by day, in this chance you can simply take advantage watching the beauty of the environment as the sun happens to arise together with the other natural attractions in the province.
- Transportation - You can reach San Juan La Union via Partas Bus with terminals in Cubao, Quezon City and Pasay. Bus fare is around Php400-500 pesos one-way. Land trip from Manila to San Juan is about 5-7 hours.
- Rates: Board Rental Php200/hour | Instructor Php200/hour | Whole day board rental Php800 | Half-day board rental Php500 | Some surf shops / hotels offer a discounted rate of Php350 for a surfing lesson inclusive of board rental.
- Surfing Season: San Juan has two surfing seasons which is July to October and November to March
- Surfing Spots: Urbiztondo Beach, Poro Point and Bacnotan
- Recommended Hotels for Lodging: Fatwave Surfing Resort, Costa Villa Beach Resort, Balay ni Elizabeth Garden, Long Beach Resort, Final Option and Seanymph Surf Cafe. Click here to view more hotels in La Union.
San Antonio, Zambales
The nearest surfing destination from Manila would be in "Zamba" or Zambales. Traveling to San Antonio t is not as hard as it looks, compared to traveling towards the beaches South of Manila. The North has all the scenic roads and you will be able to meet interesting people along the way. One surfing spot in San Antonio is in Pundaquit which is made famous by spot "Magic Left". It's a striking left-hander that's situated just below the rolling hills with waterfalls flowing majestically. And the waves here work like magic. How? That's for you to find out. Pundaquit in Zambales is a very privileged place for surfing since it receives swells from the west and north quadrants. It is bordered to the west by the South China Sea, hence the surf action. The opportunities for surfing in Pundaquit are enormous. The entire coastline offers adventurous surfers many possible surfing breaks and being renowned for year-round consistent swell and diversity of breaks. During the months of May to early December, the surf is probably at its most consistent, not necessarily its' biggest but definitely you will get more steady waves. The period from late December to April requires a low depression in the South China Sea, which can whip the swell up to three or four meters. This is a big powerful swell and requires a good level of experience.
Aside from Zambales surfing, Pundaquit is also the jump-off point to go to Capones Island and Anawangin Cove where you can do island hopping and island camping.
- Transportation - You can reach San Antonio via Victory Liner with terminals in Cubao and Pasay. You can take the bus going to Iba/Sta. Cruz and go down to San Antonio and take a tricycle going to Pundaquit. Bus fare is around Php250-300 pesos one-way. Land trip from Manila to San Antonio is about 4-5 hours.
- Rates: Board Rental Php200/hour | Php400/hour with instructor
- Surfing Season: August to March
- Surfing Spots: Magic Left
- Recommended Hotels for Lodging: Pundaquit Sun and Surf Resort, Villa Janella Residences and Beach Resort, Yong Beach Resort. Check out more hotels in Zambales.
San Felipe, Zambales
Zambales is blessed with a long shoreline which receives swells from the South China Sea. The province is an ideal place for beginners and intermediate surfers and favorites by city-based surfers especially from April until September since the place is not too crowded. The waves from late December to April can sometimes swell from three to four meters. There are surfing lessons being offered in the area handled by the locals. Among the towns in Zambales, we highly recommend San Antonio, San Narciso and San Felipe as your surfing destination. The beach waves in San Antonio are perfect for first timers and even experienced big wave riders. San Felipe waves on the other hand are more consistent.
Zambales is also home to beach front resorts perfect to be your home away from home, from budget to modern hotels and near the beach accommodation. Other resorts offer recreational activities that can be an ideal venue for company outings and family vacation.
- Transportation - You can reach San Felipe via Victory Liner with terminals in Cubao and Pasay. You can take the bus going to Iba Zambales and ask the driver to drop you at San Felipe. Take a tricycle going to Liwliwa. Bus fare is around Php250-300 pesos one-way. Land trip from Manila to San Felipe is about 4-5 hours.
- Rates: Board Rental Php200/hour | Php400/hour with instructor
- Surfing Season: September to February
- Surfing Spots: "High 5 Lahar" / "Lahar"
- Recommended Hotels for Lodging: Crystal Beach Resort, Brandenburg Resort, Villa Kiana Inn. Click here to view more hotels in Zambales.